PSL toddler swallows Oxycodone pill

By Allison Bybee - bio | email
Posted by Rachel Leigh - email

PORT ST LUCIE, FL (WFLX) - A toddler swallows pain medication. Her parents panic. Thankfully, their new neighbor turned out to be an EMT.

Wednesday afternoon, Port St. Lucie Police Officer Steven Camara was called to a home, "Possible overdose of a 1-year-old child".

The child, Julie and Michael Brandon's 14 month-old, swallowed an Oxycodone pill. Officer Camara says, "The mother said she stored the pills in a safe box." But the child got into the pills.

Officer Camara says the Brandon's ran next store. Neighbor, Sean Smith, says, "I came outside and they handed me the baby. She was pale and white and blue around the lips." He was moving into his new home, and happens to be a Martin County EMT, "I put her on the tailgate of my truck and started breathing for her."

Smith says the little girl was barely breathing. He performed rescue breathing until an ambulance arrived, "I just kind of started doing it. It's what I do at work. So, I guess I fell back on my training."

Police credit his quick thinking. Officer Camara says, "Obviously the child is OK, so it was beneficial to have him there."

The child was rushed to St. Lucie Medical Center. We are told by friends she is doing fine and will recover. We're told the family is forever grateful for their new neighbor. Sean just glad he could help, "It's what I do, it's my job. I happened to be at the right place at the right time to help out."

The Oxycodone pill the child swallowed was legal. It was a relative's, and it was hidden in a cabinet. The parents will not face any charges.

It's an unfortunate incident, and police just urge everyone to lock up their medications and put them in a hard to reach place.