Lake Worth fire involves: Oxygen tank, cigarette, retirement center

Posted by Rachel Leigh - email

LAKE WORTH, FL (WFLX) - A woman, living in a Lake Worth retirement home, caught her bed on fire early Thursday morning when she light up a cigarette while on an oxygen tank and lying in bed.

Fire fire broke out around 6:30 a.m. in the River View Retirement on Lake Worth Road. Palm Beach County Fire Rescue responded to a mattress that was on fire in one of the bedrooms.

Officials discovered that an elderly woman on an oxygen tank was smoking a cigarette in bed and caught her mattress on fire.  She was transported to the VA Hospital as a precaution.

A few people adjacent to the fire were displaced from theirs homes and were put into empty rooms in the retirement center while fire rescue cleaned up.