First Dunbar rape trial set to begin - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

First Dunbar rape trial set to begin

By Chuck Weber email

WEST PALM BEACH, FL (WFLX)-Jury selection is scheduled to start Tuesday in the first trial stemming from the notorious Dunbar Village rape case. On trial-- two of four young men charged with the 2007 crime, 18-year old Nathan Walker, and 20-year old Tommy Poindexter.

Walker and Poindexter are accused of beating and raping a woman and her son in their Dunbar Village public housing apartment in West Palm Beach. Prosecutors say as many as 10 young men, masked and armed, carried out the attack, then poured chemicals on the victims to destroy evidence.Dunbar residents are keeping an eye on the legal proceedings. A woman living near where the crime was committed, said, "There will never be closure as far as the victims' lives." But she said the accused need to be held accountable.

Since the attack at Dunbar, the city and housing authority have worked hard to communicate with residents and strengthen security. Some residents say conditions have clearly improved. Yet others believe little has changed.

Even before the rape, the housing authority decided to tear down the old Dunbar apartments and rebuild. Authority director Laurel Robinson says the first razings should happen yet this summer, while her agency continues to apply for grants to fund the project.

Walker and Poindexter will be tried at the same time, in the same courtroom, but each will have his own jury. Last week another defendant Avion Lawson pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors. The fourth accused, Jakaris Taylor, is tentatively set for trial in September.

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.