Space heater starts house fire in Ft. Pierce - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

Space heater starts house fire in Ft. Pierce

FORT PIERCE, FL (WFLX) - An 85-year-old man accidentally burned his home with a space heater Tuesday night. 

"I'm blessed that he didn't lose his life, material things are gone but that's OK," said Arthur Watson, the man's son.

Investigators said John Watson placed a space heater too close to his bed. With a burned face and tired eyes, John Watson said he was fixing dinner moments before his home caught fire.

"I was out of the room no longer than four minutes," he said.

Firefighters battled the blaze for 40 minutes. Despire their efforts the fire caused $40,000 worth of damage.

Watson has lived in the house four decades. Among other things, Watson lost his diabetes medicine in the fire.

"I don't know what I'd do without him," said Arthur Watson of his dad.

If you'd like to help out the family, send an email to arthwats3@aol.com.

For safety tips from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, click here.

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.