How you can help
• Red Cross: Text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts. Visit www.redcross.org or donate to the International Relief Fund or the Haitian Red Cross by sending checks to Greater Palm Beach Area Chapter of the American Red Cross, 825 Fern Street, West Palm Beach, FL 33401 and making a designation on the check. 100% of the money designated will go to the Red Cross relief efforts in Haiti.
• Missionary Flights International makes regular flights to Haiti, including one Wednesday. Donate at http://www.missionaryflights.org/
• The Catholic Diocese Palm Beach will hold a special collection this weekend to provide aid to the people of Haiti. Proceeds will go to the Catholic Relief Services. Persons wishing to donate directly to CRS can send checks, noting "Earthquake in Haiti", to Catholic Relief Services, P.O. Box 17090, Baltimore, MD 21203, or call 1-877-435-7277, or go online at http://crs-blog.org/earthquake-hits-haiti/
• Food for the Poor is accepting its donations at http://www.foodforthepoor.org/haitiquake . The Coconut-Creek based organization, which has an office and warehouse in Haiti that was damaged, is seeking donations to buy emergency supplies and lumber to rebuild homes.
• Publix Super Markets is allowing customers to make donations at the check out registers. Collected money will go to the American Red Cross for the Haiti Relief and Development Fund.
• Frank McKinney, a Delray Beach developer who heads the Caring House project, is collecting donations for Haiti relief. The nonprofit assists the people of Haiti. To donate, go to http://www.frank-mckinney.com/donate.aspx
• The St. Thomas University Human Rights Institute in Palm Springs will accept donations at the local office, joining efforts of St. Thomas University in Miami, at 2112 S. Congress Ave., Site 201/202, Palm Springs, FL 33406, 561-472-2346.
• Operation Helping Hands, a joint community project of The Miami Herald and United Way-Miami, will be collecting donations to support the relief effort in Haiti. To make a contribution, go to http://www.iwant2help.org/
• Rapper Wyclef Jean: Donate to Haiti via rapper Wyclef Jean's charity. Text "yele" to 501501 to donate $5 to the fund. Or visit http://www.yele.org/
• World Vision has 370 staff in Haiti and is accepting donations at WorldVision.com or call 1-800-363-5021.
• The Pan American Development Foundation (PADF) -- the natural disaster relief arm of the OAS -- asks people to visit its special relief website, http://www.panamericanrelief.org/.
• The Archdiocese of Miami is accepting financial donations to assist with recovery efforts. Send donations to Catholic Charities, 1505 NE 26th St. Wilton Manors, FL 33305, Attention Earthquake Victims.
Checking on relatives in Haiti:
• President Obama spoke on TV Wednesday morning. He urged Americans trying to contact loved ones in Haiti to call the State Dept. American Citizen Services at 888-407-4747. You also can call 202-647-4000 and transfer to operations.
• Facebook offers a wealth of resources about any real-time topic. Enter a search term such as "earthquake" in the search field at the top right of your Facebook.com to get started. From there you can use the menu on the left to sort by All Results, Posts by Friends, Posts by Everyone and more. Facebook's Causes application, if you're a fan of it, also includes information on how to help impacted Haitians.