FBI closes case on 2001 anthrax attack in Boca

New developments in those anthrax attacks in 2001: The FBI says its investigation of the incidents is now done.

One of the victims was from our area. The FBI today has formally closed its investigation, but for the Lake Worth widow of Robert Stevens, this doesn't mean the case is over.

After investigating for almost nine years, the FBI says the culprit in the deadly 2001 anthrax mailings was a government researcher, Dr. Bruce Ivins.

The FBI now says Ivins acted alone, sending out letters containing anthrax spores.

One of the letters was sent to the AMI building in Boca, which was the home of the National Enquirer. Photo editor Robert Stevens was killed.

Here's what his widow had to say two years ago.

I just think about all the good things. The man was such a good man and it just brings everything back I don't have now. Thank God for the memories," said Maureen Stevens.

Now two years later, the FBI has concluded it was Dr. Ivins who sent the anthrax-laced letter that killed her husband.

Reached by phone today she told us:

"It's a relief because it's been a long, long time. It's a weight off my shoulders, of course. I live with this every day and it's not going to change. At least now its finalized."

The anthrax letters Dr. Ivins sent in 2001 killed five people, including Stevens.

The widow's attorney says the attacks could've been prevented if the government had tighter security at an Army research lab in Maryland where Dr. Ivins got the anthrax spores. Here's what the attorney said in 2008.

"One of the people that worked at the laboratory told me they had better security at a 7-11 than they did at the laboratory where they had the most dangerous substances known to mankind," said lawyer Richard Schuler.

The attorney for Robert Stevens' widow told me they still have a lawsuit pending against the federal government.

They claim the government was negligent for not taking enough steps to safeguard the deadly anthrax spores at the lab.

That case is set to go to trial in federal court in West Palm Beach in December or January. The widow is seeking $50 million in damages.