Natural Alternatives to Medications - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

Monday, May 26, 2003

Natural Alternatives to Medications

I'm Dr. David Vastola and Patrick and I are constantly reading books and magazines like this, Prevention, because we want to learn about natural alternatives and how they can affect us, and for me, how they can affect our patients. It's truly outstanding and astonishing how natural alternatives are affecting us - not to the exclusion of medicine, but as an adjunct. In other words, they treat along with standard medications. The array is amazing and as more and more scientific information is coming in through scientific method - experiments, we're learning they work.

A recent report from consumerlabs.com who looked at natural alternatives like gingko found that only about 20% of them have enough active ingredient in them to do good. Now gingko, we use for patients who have mental problems, early Alzheimer's disease and also clotication, in other words problems with circulation of the legs and feet. It seems to help, but if only 20% of these have an active ingredient in it will work - the other 80% won't.

In 1999 they found these same products had 75% of the active ingredients. So therefore, over the past 3-4 years it's gotten worse. So what does that tell us? When it comes time to buy that natural alternative make sure you buy it from a reliable provider - someone who knows what they're doing, what it's indicated for and what's in the bottle. Because if you don't, in three quarters of the cases you're going to be wasting your money.

And I'm Dr. David Vastola and that's life.

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.