Uncapped natural gas valve causes house explosion - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

Uncapped natural gas valve causes house explosion

LAKE WORTH, FL (WFLX) - We have a safety warning for you after a house exploded Wednesday morning in Suburban Lake Worth.

The cause of the explosion was something that could be overlooked in any household.

Fire investigators said the explosion was caused by a leaking, uncapped natural gas valve.

These types of valves are in any home that uses natural gas for appliances.

Lorna Wilcox and her brother, John Pyke, were in the house at the time of the explosion.

Investigators said the valve leaked into the attic and possibly the garage.

Palm Beach County Fire Rescue recommends that natural gas line users cap the valves if an appliance is removed.

If you're not sure how to do this call your utility company for help.

Copyright 2011 WFLX. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.