Lake Worth skate rink evacuated after CO scare

LAKE WORTH, FL (WFLX) - It can be a silent killer, and it crept into a local ice skating rink.

Firefighters say carbon monoxide was found at the Palm Beach Skate Zone in suburban Lake Worth.

An alarm sounded off when Palm Beach Fire Rescue walked into the building. In fact, their carbon monoxide detector registered about twice the normal safe amount of breathable carbon monoxide, and everyone inside was evacuated.

"We consider it dangerous, maybe in the long term, but we're still always on the safe side, and we had people evacuate the building until it got cleared," said Captain Don Delucia, Palm Beach County Fire Rescue.

While it's not clear what led to the high carbon monoxide level, Palm Beach County Fire Rescue says, it could be the Zamboni machine which is used to clean and smooth the surface of the ice.

The county health department says buildings like this aren't regulated and regularly tested for carbon monoxide.

Copyright 2011 WFLX. All Rights Reserved.