Family forced from home after kitchen fire - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

Family forced from home after kitchen fire

HOBE SOUND, FL (WFLX) -- Around 3:45 Sunday morning, Marissa Yocum, her four-month-old baby and her brother managed to escape their home as a fire ripped through their kitchen.

"It was really scary. It was frightening," Yocum said. "Only thing I could think of was just like a movie the roof falling in on me and me getting stuck."

Yocum said her main priority was trying to get her son out. She said the fire started due to a pot full of grease that was left on the stove.

Smoke damage was seen throughout the house located on the 8500 block of SE Comus Street. But the kitchen was where the bulk of the damage was.

"The baby food and all of that is gone," she said in her nightgown. "I mean right now we just have the clothes on our back which are night clothes and flip flops."

Family members of Yocum said they are just happy they are alive.

Yocum is happy the house can be salvaged and hopefully repaired so they can move back in.  She said the house was saved thanks to the quick action of her stepfather, who came over from next door when the fire started and poured water on it, keeping it from burning the house down.

Now the family must rebuild their lives and the Red Cross is assisting them in this difficult time by putting them up in a hotel.

Anyone interested in assisting the Yocum family can reach them at 772-285-3319.


 
Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.