Tuesday, September 2 2014 11:23 PM EDT2014-09-03 03:23:08 GMT
The World Food Program says it provided food to a record 4.1 million people inside Syria last month.More >>
Islamic State extremists released a video Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant...More >>
Palm Beach County, FL- The Inaugural Countdown 2 Zero Adoption Event, presented by The Lois Pope LIFE Foundation, Inc., is Saturday, September 6, 2014 from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm inside the Palm Beach CountyMore >>
The Countdown 2 Zero Adoption Event is a collaborative effort between local animal rescue organizations to save the lives of healthy adoptable animals in Palm Beach County.More >>
By Christina Noce & Jon Shainman VERO BEACH, FL (WFLX) - A homeless person is in custody after a fatal stabbing Monday night outside a Vero Beach McDonald's on U.S. 1. Police said they received a 911More >>
Police said they received a 911 call around 9:30 p.m. Monday stating a customer had been stabbed and was lying inside the restaurant.More >>
By Jamel Lanee' STUART, FL (WFLX) - Rachel Traill and her family laid flowers Monday afternoon at Shepards Park for Charlie Birely. The 11-year-old boy died in a boat fire Sunday. "We were devastated.More >>
An 11-year-old autistic boy died in a boat fire Sunday.More >>
(WFLX) - All Sarah Schuck has left of her beloved 8-year-old Labrador, Rafter, is a collar, pictures and fond memories. "It was really hard," she said.
Hard, because it shouldn't have happened. Sarah says the drug store that filled rafter's prescription made an error.
His prescription bottle label said to give Rafter "two and one fourth teaspoon".
Problem was, Sarah says, the dosage her vet called into the pharmacy was for much less medication: "two and one fourth cc's". One teaspoon is equal to five cc. A cc is the same amount as a milliliter.
The overdose, combined with Rafter's health problems, was too much, and, she says, she had to put him to sleep. "It was a tough realization," she said.
Just days after Rafter's death, the FDA issued a warning about a pattern of pet prescription mistakes.
FDA investigators discovered errors stemming from simple issues like:
Drugs with similar names
Simple penmanship errors
"The consequences can be completely devastating," said veterinarian Dr. Howard Silberman
He takes prescription precautions at his office: All medications and dosages are typed into a computer, only vets or vet techs fill prescriptions, and pet's pictures are printed on the label so there's no mix ups.
"We do a tremendous amount to make sure that those things don't happen," he said.
The FDA says while mistakes happen at vet-based pharmacies, when pet prescriptions are filled in "human pharmacies", like in Rafter's case, different systems may be to blame.
Abbreviations are a common cause of errors because prescription shorthand taught in veterinary schools is different than in medical schools, and some pharmacists may not be as familiar with vet abbreviations. "Currently, most of the pharmacy curriculums don't touch upon vet medicine," said Carmen Catizone, of the National Association Boards of Pharmacy.
Pharmacy insiders say if pet owners shop around to find the lowest cost on pet medications, they need to do their research.
"Their primary concern should always be whether or not that pharmacist is knowledgeable in the area of veterinary medications; price should be a secondary consideration," said Catizone.
How can you avoid a pet prescription mix up? The American Veterinary Medical Association says communication is key. Make sure the pharmacist speaks to your vet if there are any questions. The FDA advises you should verify with your vet both the name and dosage of your pet's drug.
Sarah says she hopes Rafter's legacy lives on to help other pet owners avoid medication mistakes.
FDA investigators also found pet medication errors stemmed from pet owners misinterpreting labels and accidentally giving pets human drugs.