WEST PALM BEACH, FL (WFLX)-- Fifteenth Judicial Circuit Court Judge Jeffrey Colbath has agreed to delay the start of the DUI manslaughter retrial of International Polo Club founder John Goodman after defense attorneys said they needed more time to prepare their defense.
The trial, which had been expected to start in January, could now start as early as late February or early March.
The next hearing is scheduled for 8:15am on Tuesday, January 14.
Colbath, who made the decision during an early-morning hearing on Monday, said he would decide later this week whether to issue a gag order to prohibit attorneys and witnesses from speaking about the case with members of the media.
The hearing, the last scheduled one of the year, came one month after defense attorneys said an expert would travel to Texas to examine the 2007 Bentley Continental GTC driven by the International Polo Club founder the night University of Central Florida student Scott Wilson was killed in Wellington.
In November, defense attorneys alleged that prosecutors at the Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office withheld information about vehicle malfunctions similar to the one argued during the 2012 trial that ended with Goodman being convicted of DUI manslaughter.
"[Prosecutors] argued that because the vehicle was a "quarter of a million dollar" vehicle, it was ludicrous for the defense to argue that the vehicle could have malfunctioned," defense attorneys wrote in their motion.
The premise of a vehicle malfunction had been a central focus of Goodman's defense.
On Monday, a defense attorney said Goodman would ask Colbath to dismiss the charges against him after an expert examined the Bentley.
Earlier this year, Colbath vacated the DUI manslaughter conviction and ordered a new trial after defense attorneys convinced him that a juror had hidden an ex-wife's DUI arrest during jury selection.
Goodman remains on house arrest.