PALM CITY, FL (WFLX) - A Palm City man was flown to Jackson Memorial hospital in Miami, after suffering significant burns on a flash fire, according to Martin County Fire Rescue.
The accident happened shortly before 7 p.m. Wednesday, at a home on Southwest Sunset Trace Circle in Palm City.
The sheriff's office is calling the townhome a crime scene. On Thursday morning, the sheriff's office confirmed that the explosion was a result of a butane hash oil lab.
Authorities say the man told firefighters he was cooking creme brulee when it sparked a flash fire, but the victim suffered severe burns on his legs, which officials say, doesn't seem to make sense if he was cooking on the stove. "It's very explosive, very dangerous. This is the second one that we've seen within the last month or so, and we're afraid it's catching on," said Sheriff William Snyder.
The blast was powerful enough to rattle pictures on the wall of another townhouse that was not attached to the victim's place, officials say.
No one else was injured in the fire.
The Martin County Sheriff's Office will brief the media on the situation at 2:30 p.m. Thursday.