2 teenage girls die in overnight fire in Pahokee

2 teenage girls die in overnight fire in Pahokee

PAHOKEE, FL (WLFX). - The mayor of Pahokee said twin 14-year-old girls have died after an overnight mobile home fire.The fire occurred just before 1 a.m. at the Chance Trailer Park on Main Street.

The twins had to be pulled from the home by firefighters but later died at a hospital of smoke inhalation, said Mayor Colin Walkes.

The teens' mother escaped on her own and is in stable condition. Officials said she did everything she could to get her daughters, who were in their bedroom, out of the home.

Both girls attended Pahokee Middle School and would have been high school freshmen this fall, according to Walkes.

Grief counselors will be at the middle school Friday.

Palm Beach County firefighters said a worn out extension chord inside the mother's bedroom started the deadly fire. Also, Palm Beach County Fire Rescue said the family's fire alarm did not have batteries in it.

Copyright 2015 WFLX. All rights reserved.