Aaden Moreno: Connecticut dad jumps off bridge with son, police - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

Aaden Moreno: Connecticut dad jumps off bridge with son, police say; Search underway for baby's body


(CNN) -- Middletown, Connecticut, police believe a 22-year-old man jumped off a bridge holding his infant son. The man lived. On Tuesday, police are searching for the baby's body.

Firefighters pulled Tony Moreno from the Connecticut River Sunday. He was alert, authorities said. Moreno is in critical condition, according to Hartford Hospital, where he was taken.

Authorities received a call at 11:45 p.m. from someone who said that Moreno was on the Arrigoni Bridge threatening to commit suicide.

Two police officers who arrived at the bridge saw Moreno but did not see a baby, Middletown police said. But witnesses told investigators they saw Moreno holding an infant on the bridge.

The father has not yet been charged.

The Hartford Courant reports that it was a member of Moreno's family who made that call to police. It's unclear how that family member is related to Moreno.

The newspaper obtained court records that show an open child custody case between the child's mother, Adrianne Oyola, and Moreno. She applied for a restraining order on June 17 because she was afraid for her safety and the safety of her 7-month-old, Aaden.

Oyola wrote that the couple was happy, the newspaper said, until she got pregnant and he started to threaten and abuse her, the Courant said.

"He has told me he could make my son disappear any time of the day," the paper quotes her restraining order application. "He told me how he could make me disappear told me how he could kill me. I sometimes am scared to sleep. He told me he would put me in the ground and put something on me to make me disintegrate faster."

The application reportedly continues, "I can't bring [the baby] around my family without [Moreno's] approval, but he could do anything he wants without letting me know. I feel that he is a danger to my child and me and would like to leave with my child and get full custody."

According to the newspaper, there was a temporary restraining order that was initially issued, but on June 29 a judge denied the restraining order application. The reasons for that are unclear, the Courant reports.

"[We're feeling] total despair," Tom Marino, Aaden's great uncle, told CNN affiliate WFSB. "It's sad to lose Tony but it's even sadder to lose the baby that way."

CNN's Chuck Johnston contributed to this report.

™ & © 2015 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.