Construction was happening at Florida Wal-Mart where 13 got sick - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

Construction was happening at Florida Wal-Mart where 13 got sick

creative commons creative commons

AVALON PARK, Fla. (AP) -- Authorities say a construction crew using propane tools had been working in a central Florida Wal-Mart store where 13 employees were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Fire rescue crews were called to the store after 3 a.m. Sunday when employees began complaining of headaches and dizziness. First responders detected very high levels of carbon monoxide and evacuated the Avalon Park store.

Orange County Fire Rescue spokeswoman Kathleen Kennedy told local media that levels of carbon monoxide reached 400 parts per million inside the store by 4 a.m. Sunday. Levels above 35 parts per million are considered excessive.

Authorities say seven people were taken to the hospital as a precaution. Others were treated at the scene.

An investigation continued, but the store was cleared to reopen around 7:30 a.m. Sunday.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.