Avatar couple banned from Facebook over last name - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

Avatar couple banned from Facebook over last name

AP GRAPHICS BANK AP GRAPHICS BANK
  • Fox 29 Daily HeadlinesMore>>

Florida State removes statue of founder, slave owner Eppes

Friday, July 20 2018 11:17 AM EDT2018-07-20 15:17:52 GMT
    Friday, July 20 2018 11:25 AM EDT2018-07-20 15:25:26 GMT

Eppes was once commemorated as the founder of FSU, and until early Thursday morning his statue was on the school's Westcott Plaza.

More >>

More >>

Trump talks tougher, now says he warned Putin on meddling

Wednesday, July 18 2018 12:31 AM EDT2018-07-18 04:31:41 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 1:22 AM EDT2018-07-19 05:22:31 GMT
    (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik). President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media as he meets with members of Congress in the Cabinet Room of the White House, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, in Washington. Trump says he meant the opposite when he said in Helsink...(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik). President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media as he meets with members of Congress in the Cabinet Room of the White House, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, in Washington. Trump says he meant the opposite when he said in Helsink...

Rebuked as never before by his own party, including a stern pushback from usually reserved Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, the U.S. president sought to end 27 hours of recrimination by delivering a rare admission of error.

More >>

More >>

Marriott hotels eliminating plastic straws by 2019

Wednesday, July 18 2018 12:25 AM EDT2018-07-18 04:25:22 GMT
    Wednesday, July 18 2018 10:47 AM EDT2018-07-18 14:47:09 GMT
    The world's largest hotel company said the move will eliminate approximately 1 billion straws and 250 million stirrers by July 2019. (Source: Pixabay, File)The world's largest hotel company said the move will eliminate approximately 1 billion straws and 250 million stirrers by July 2019. (Source: Pixabay, File)

More >>

More >>

Prescott, AZ (KTVK) -- Facebook is one of the most popular social media services around, but an Arizona couple says Facebook has banned them from using the site.

What's in a name? Well, apparently a lot. Just ask this young couple.

"My name is Balizar Orion Avatar. I go by Boa."

Boa says his name, Balizar Orion Avatar, is very special to him.

"My dad told me that my name in Sanskrit is 'May the Lord protect the king, son of light in deity human form,'" Avatar said.

But Avatar said it's his last name with which Facebook all of a sudden has a big problem. He said the social networking service recently deleted his Facebook page.

Why? Facebook does not believe Avatar is his real name.

"I was confused, frustrated, and I was just kind of done," Avatar said.

Avatar and his wife, Audry, are upset and hurt that Facebook believes he fabricated his birth-given name.

"I fell in love with his name just as much as I fell in love with him," Audry said, explaining that Facebook is giving her the same problem.

She wants to change her maiden name to her married name, Avatar, but she said Facebook hasn't let her.

"I think it's discrimination, fully," she said. "I mean I have a special last name; I'm married to a special man."

So, what's the problem with the name Avatar? Well, Boa and Audry believe it has to with a few things, including the blockbuster 2009 movie called "Avatar."

The science fiction movie was written and directed by James Cameron and focused blue extraterrestrials.

It was a huge success, and "Avatar 2" is set to be released in 2017.

As a result, Avatar said he and his wife are being forced to provide their driver licenses and other documents proving that Avatar is their name.

"I think they need to get off their high horse and realize you're just social media," Audry said.

Avatar said he feels the same way.

"I feel like I'm getting singled out, me and my wife," he said. "I really do."

KTVK-TV contacted Facebook to find out exactly why it has concerns about the name Avatar.

A Facebook representative replied with a promise to look into the matter.

As for Boa and Audry, they said they feel the situation is bizarre but continue to have a sense of humor about it.

"I'm not blue, so, and I'm not gigantic," Audry said.

"I actually did think about calling James Cameron or trying to get a hold of James Cameron and being like, 'Ya know, man, my last name's Avatar and I'm taking a lot of grief from your movie. Maybe some compensation would be much appreciated,'" Avatar said with a laugh.

Facebook got back to KTVK-TV and explained that several words and names are flagged as being suspicious for having fake accounts. It just so happens that Avatar is one of those names.

The company said it is working on getting the Avatars' Facebook pages up and running.

"We are committed to ensuring that all members of the Facebook community can use the names that they use in real life," a Facebook representative said in a statement. "Having people use their authentic names makes them more accountable, and also helps us root out accounts created for malicious purposes, like harassment, fraud, impersonation and hate speech. Over the last several months, we've made some significant improvements in the implementation of this standard, including enhancing the overall experience and expanding the options available for verifying an authentic name. We have more work to do, and our teams will continue to prioritize these improvements."

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.