North Fort Myers High School student kicked off campus for Confe - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

North Fort Myers High School student kicked off campus for Confederate flag

picture by WFTX picture by WFTX
  • Fox 29 Daily HeadlinesMore>>

Florida State removes statue of founder, slave owner Eppes

Friday, July 20 2018 11:17 AM EDT2018-07-20 15:17:52 GMT
    Friday, July 20 2018 11:25 AM EDT2018-07-20 15:25:26 GMT

Eppes was once commemorated as the founder of FSU, and until early Thursday morning his statue was on the school's Westcott Plaza.

More >>

More >>

Trump talks tougher, now says he warned Putin on meddling

Wednesday, July 18 2018 12:31 AM EDT2018-07-18 04:31:41 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 1:22 AM EDT2018-07-19 05:22:31 GMT
    (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik). President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media as he meets with members of Congress in the Cabinet Room of the White House, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, in Washington. Trump says he meant the opposite when he said in Helsink...(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik). President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media as he meets with members of Congress in the Cabinet Room of the White House, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, in Washington. Trump says he meant the opposite when he said in Helsink...

Rebuked as never before by his own party, including a stern pushback from usually reserved Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, the U.S. president sought to end 27 hours of recrimination by delivering a rare admission of error.

More >>

More >>

Marriott hotels eliminating plastic straws by 2019

Wednesday, July 18 2018 12:25 AM EDT2018-07-18 04:25:22 GMT
    Wednesday, July 18 2018 10:47 AM EDT2018-07-18 14:47:09 GMT
    The world's largest hotel company said the move will eliminate approximately 1 billion straws and 250 million stirrers by July 2019. (Source: Pixabay, File)The world's largest hotel company said the move will eliminate approximately 1 billion straws and 250 million stirrers by July 2019. (Source: Pixabay, File)

More >>

More >>

NORTH FORT MYERS, Fla. - A North Fort Myers High School student was asked to leave after driving to school with two Confederate flags in the back of her pickup truck.

The security guard and vice principal had a message for 11th grader Sky Hunter on the first day of school.

"He came out and told me that I had to leave and I asked him why and he said the American flag was fine, but I couldn't fly my two Confederate flags," Hunter said.

She says when she protested, the vice principal had a firm response.

"He told me parking my truck there, it was my vehicle, my responsibility to get rid of the flags and I told him its my vehicle, its my responsibility, I should be able to fly what I like on them," Hunter said.

She says she didn't want to start trouble, so she went home and had her father drop her off at school.

"It''s a heritage, and I don't understand why she can't fly them, and I don't understand what's going on," said Sky's father John Hunter.

FOX 4 asked the school district what was going on through phone and email throughout the day.

They never got back to us, but shortly after school let out the school's principal called the family to apologize.

The principal tells the family Sky can now park on campus, with all three of her flags.

Sky tells FOX 4 she still doesn't understand why she couldn't park there in the first place and says it wasn't the just message, but the manner it was delivered.

"I wasn't expected to be told to leave right on the spot especially in the rude manner I was asked."

Copyright 2015 WFLX FOX. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.