Golfer dies after being stung by bees at a course in Michigan - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

Golfer dies after being stung by bees at a course in Michigan

picture by MIKE BAIRD picture by MIKE BAIRD

DOVER TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) -- Police say a 64-year-old golfer from Ohio has died after being stung at least 20 times by bees as he searched for a ball in woods in northern Michigan.

Michigan State Police Sgt. Mark Tamlyn says Darryl Dever of Powell was pronounced dead Wednesday after having trouble breathing.

MLive.com reports that Dever and a friend -- a doctor -- were golfing together at Treetops Resort's north course when Dever went into the woods. Tamlyn says the bees came out of the ground, stinging him at least 20 times in the head, neck and shoulders.

Dever had no known allergy to bee stings, but Tamlyn noted that enough stings can be fatal even to someone without an allergy.

Treetops Resort is near Gaylord, about 200 miles northwest of Detroit.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.