Crews rescue Florida family poisoned by carbon monoxide - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

Crews rescue Florida family poisoned by carbon monoxide

picture by wfts picture by wfts

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Fire crews in St. Petersburg rescued two adults and five children who were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator.

Authorities say a generator running in the garage caused the fumes to build up inside the home early Friday.

St. Petersburg Fire Rescue crews arrived at the home shortly after 4 a.m.

Spokesman Steve Lawrence told the Tampa Bay Times the family was using a generator to provide power to the house. It wasn't clear why.

Crews administered oxygen at the scene, and the children and their mother showed signs of improvement. Lawrence says the father was going in and out of consciousness.

A fire rescue news release identified the man as Ernest Dickson. Dickson, his fiancée and children -- ranging in age from 5 months to 12 -- were checked at hospitals and were not experiencing any ill effects by late morning.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.