(WBBH) A Cape Coral, Florida man is recovering from third degree burns after an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket.
It's the second incident of its kind in recent days.
Earlier this week, a Naples man suffered burns to his face and lungs when his e-cigarette exploded.
"The gentleman who witnessed it said it sounded like three M-80s went off in my pocket," Randall Cales says.
Cales said when he heard and felt the burning sensation he didn't realize it was the e-cigarette in his pocket that had exploded.
"I actually thought I was getting shot because of the burn and the sound," he said.
He said he had just smoked and was getting ready to use the device again.
"Two minutes later and it would have been my face," Cales said.
More than two dozen reports from the Food and Drug Administration indicate e-cigarettes have exploded since they became popular in 2012.
This month, the FDA requested e-cigarettes be regulated, and this week they were banned in checked baggage and on airplanes.