Ohio man to 911 operator: 'I just shot and killed my wife' - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

Ohio man to 911 operator: 'I just shot and killed my wife'

picture by DAVE MARLO | WCPO picture by DAVE MARLO | WCPO
  • Fox 29 Daily HeadlinesMore>>

'It breaks my heart': Laura Bush calls family separation at border 'cruel,' 'immoral'

Monday, June 18 2018 1:43 AM EDT2018-06-18 05:43:51 GMT
    Monday, June 18 2018 1:43 AM EDT2018-06-18 05:43:51 GMT
    Former first lady Laura Bush speaks Friday, June 23, 2017, during "Stand-To," a summit held by the George W. Bush Institute focused on veteran transition, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)Former first lady Laura Bush speaks Friday, June 23, 2017, during "Stand-To," a summit held by the George W. Bush Institute focused on veteran transition, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

The former first lady called on “good people at all levels of government” to stop the practice.

More >>

More >>

Ex-chief, officers allegedly framed teen for burglaries in FL

Thursday, June 14 2018 1:46 PM EDT2018-06-14 17:46:03 GMT
    Thursday, June 14 2018 1:46 PM EDT2018-06-14 17:46:03 GMT
    Ex-law enforcement officials allegedly arrested a teen for a crime he didn't commit in order to keep a perfect record for burglary cases. (Source: Raycom Media, file)Ex-law enforcement officials allegedly arrested a teen for a crime he didn't commit in order to keep a perfect record for burglary cases. (Source: Raycom Media, file)

Biscayne Park Police Chief Raimundo Atesiano, as well as officers Charlie Dayoub and Raul Fernandez, were indicted by federal officials for "conspiracy to violate civil rights under color of law."

More >>

More >>

North American trio beats Morocco to host 2026 World Cup

Wednesday, June 13 2018 2:37 AM EDT2018-06-13 06:37:15 GMT
    Thursday, June 14 2018 11:42 AM EDT2018-06-14 15:42:47 GMT
    (AP Photo/Pavel Golovkin). FIFA President Gianni Infantino arrives at the FIFA congress on the eve of the opener of the 2018 soccer World Cup in Moscow, Russia, Wednesday, June 13, 2018. The congress in Moscow is set to choose the host or hosts for the...(AP Photo/Pavel Golovkin). FIFA President Gianni Infantino arrives at the FIFA congress on the eve of the opener of the 2018 soccer World Cup in Moscow, Russia, Wednesday, June 13, 2018. The congress in Moscow is set to choose the host or hosts for the...

FIFA is preparing to choose between Morocco and a joint North American bid to host the 2026 World Cup.

More >>

More >>

COLERAIN TOWNSHIP, Ohio – Jeff Hawkins was calm when he called 911 Monday.

He told the operator his name, his phone number and his address. And then he told her what he did:

“I just shot and killed my wife,” he said.

Hawkins then told the 911 operator he would make the next steps easy for authorities.

“(My gun) is on the sink,” he said. “I’m not a threat to anybody. I’m a former police officer. I’m not sure what happened.”

Police took Hawkins, 57, into custody just before noon Monday, according to Colerain Township Police spokesman James Love. They found his wife Jo Ann, 59, shot to death in the home.

Before officers arrived, Hawkins told the 911 operator his wife was on the ground by their home's back door. He said he shot her multiple times with a 40-caliber weapon, but did not know how many times he pulled the trigger.

His calm broke when he told the operator why he did it.

“She took all the money out of my bank account on my birthday on Saturday,” he said, choking back tears. “You guys were out here a couple times. I don’t know. I came home and she was here. She just wouldn’t talk to me. And she just kept saying, ‘Talk to my lawyer.’

“It just happened. I never wanted to do anything. I’m alright. Well, I’m not alright. God, forgive me.”

You can listen to the 911 call here.

The 911 operator told Hawkins to stay on the phone with her until officers arrived.

“I’m stepping outside now and I’ll sit on the front stoop,” he responded. “I hear sirens already.”

In Saturday's 911 call, Hawkins said he was asking for a welfare check on his wife. He'd gotten a notice that "a lot" of money was taken out of a bank account. She was home alone, he said, and he couldn't reach her. He expressed concern that something had happened to her.

"All I got is some cryptic message that she just got back from the police department, so I guess I'm trying to find out -- I'm not in town right now -- so is there somebody that I could talk to see did something happen to her, did something happen at our house," Hawkins said. "I'm not getting much information."

Copyright 2015 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.