Family sues Boston Market after salmonella death

Family sues Boston Market after salmonella death

Story Video: Click here

A Palm Beach County family has sued Boston Market Friday claiming it served Gary Kidwell food contaminated with salmonella, that eventually led to the 39-year-old's death.

Kidwell's family said he stopped for dinner at the Boston Market on the corner of Military Trail and Boynton Beach Blvd in November 2014. They believe something in the turkey platter he ate caused his death three months later.

Speaking at a news conference Friday, Kidwell's family said the only thing he loved more than sports was his kids.

"He lived for them so to speak," said Kidwell's mother Amanda Denton.

Now three sisters will grow up without a father.

"We talked to him every day and his death has just left a huge hole in our hearts," explained Denton, who lives in Virginia.

The family maintains that health experts linked Kidwell's salmonella to a Boynton Beach Boston Market restaurant.

Lawyers from the Personal Injury & Accident Law Center blame poor training and oversight by Boston Market for failing to have employees wash their hands.

"It's quite possible that creates an unreasonable risk of harm to consumers today," said attorney Brandon Labiner.

His law firm provided health department records that show inspectors found repeat violations at the restaurant.

It now has Kidwell's family thinking twice every time they eat out.

"It's a huge eye-opener when you have to suffer and watch someone suffer over something that is preventable. You pay more attention," said Kidwell's sister, Christa MacDonald.

This lawsuit doesn't ask for a specific amount of money. Kidwell's mother hopes most of all it saves other lives.

"I just don't wanna see anyone else die from this, it's just not necessary," Denton said.

A Boston Market spokesperson released the following statement:

Scripps Only Content 2016