Fireworks trigger PTSD in some veterans - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

Fireworks trigger PTSD in some veterans

• Fox 29 Daily HeadlinesMore>>

Trump talks tougher, now says he warned Putin on meddling

Wednesday, July 18 2018 12:31 AM EDT2018-07-18 04:31:41 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 1:22 AM EDT2018-07-19 05:22:31 GMT
    (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik). President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media as he meets with members of Congress in the Cabinet Room of the White House, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, in Washington. Trump says he meant the opposite when he said in Helsink...(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik). President Donald Trump speaks to members of the media as he meets with members of Congress in the Cabinet Room of the White House, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, in Washington. Trump says he meant the opposite when he said in Helsink...

Rebuked as never before by his own party, including a stern pushback from usually reserved Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, the U.S. president sought to end 27 hours of recrimination by delivering a rare admission of error.

More >>

More >>

Marriott hotels eliminating plastic straws by 2019

Wednesday, July 18 2018 12:25 AM EDT2018-07-18 04:25:22 GMT
    Wednesday, July 18 2018 10:47 AM EDT2018-07-18 14:47:09 GMT
    The world's largest hotel company said the move will eliminate approximately 1 billion straws and 250 million stirrers by July 2019. (Source: Pixabay, File)The world's largest hotel company said the move will eliminate approximately 1 billion straws and 250 million stirrers by July 2019. (Source: Pixabay, File)

More >>

More >>

Amazon's Prime Day runs into early snags

Monday, July 16 2018 3:25 AM EDT2018-07-16 07:25:22 GMT
    Tuesday, July 17 2018 9:41 AM EDT2018-07-17 13:41:58 GMT
    (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, File). FILE- In this Aug. 3, 2017, file photo, Myrtice Harris applies tape to a package before shipment at an Amazon fulfillment center in Baltimore. Amazon's Prime Day starts July 16, 2018, and will be six hours longer than...(AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, File). FILE- In this Aug. 3, 2017, file photo, Myrtice Harris applies tape to a package before shipment at an Amazon fulfillment center in Baltimore. Amazon's Prime Day starts July 16, 2018, and will be six hours longer than...

This year's sales event, which starts Monday afternoon, will be six hours longer than last year's and will launch new products.

More >>

More >>

Story Video: Click here

For Vietnam Veteran Norm Fickett, Independence Day is about much more than barbecuing.

“When people say: 'Have a happy Fourth of July.’ I say: ‘Yeah and enjoy your freedom,” Fickett said.

The retired Marine was injured three times in combat and lost several of his friends.

“Sometimes it seems like another lifetime,” Fickett said. “But at times, it takes me right back there.”

He said certain things trigger his post traumatic stress disorder like the smell of diesel and the sound of fireworks.

A few years ago he went to a celebration and was startled when fireworks went off.

“It just tore the hell out of me,” Fickett said. "I was down on the ground. I go down and cover myself up, you know, to keep from getting hurt.”

In his mind it sounded like gunfire.

“I didn’t see people,” Fickett said. "I didn’t see anything. I blacked out. The only thing I saw was my tunnel vision to where my car was.”

The sound of fireworks means, in his mind, he suddenly is right back on the battlefield.

“I have pictures in my mind of aircrafts dropping Napalm,” Fickett said. “Walking through clouds of smokes, I dream about that.”

His ancestors fought in the Revolution.

“They got us our freedom and we continue to fight for it,” Fickett said.

That is just one reason why Independence Day has particular meaning to him.

“I look around and see all these people enjoying their freedom and we had something to do with it,” Fickett said.

Scripps Only Content 2017

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.