Carbon monoxide from stove sickens 10 in Broward - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather

Carbon monoxide from stove sickens 10 in Broward

LAUDERDALE LAKES, Fla. (AP) -- Sheriff's officials in Broward County suspect seven children and three adults were sickened by carbon monoxide when they improperly used a wood burning stove in their apartment.

Rescue crews treated the family after being called to the apartment complex near Fort Lauderdale on Thursday morning.

In a news release, Broward Sheriff's Battalion Chief Michael Kane said the patients were vomiting and complaining of headaches.

All 10 patients were in critical condition when they were taken to a hospital.

A hazardous materials team ventilated the apartment and checked all nearby residences.

Kane says the family was using the wood burning stove as a makeshift heating device as temperatures dipped to the upper 50s in the area early Thursday.

The state fire marshal's office is investigating.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly

1100 Banyan Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Raycom Media. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.