- Find out about the hazards in your community.
- Ask how you would be warned.
- Find out how to prepare for each type of disaster.
Meet with your family
- Discuss the types of disasters that could occur.
- Explain how to prepare and respond to each type of disaster.
- Discuss where to go and what to bring if advised to evacuate.
- Practice what you have discussed.
Plan how your family will stay in contact if separated by disaster
- Pick two meeting places:
1) a place a safe distance from your home in case of a home fire.
2) a place outside your neighborhood in case you can't return home.
- Choose an out-of-state friend as a 'check-in contact' for everyone to call.
Complete these steps
- Post emergency telephone numbers by every phone.
- Show responsible family members how and when to shut off water, gas and electricity at main switches.
- Contact your local fire department to learn about home fire hazards.
- Learn first aid and CPR. Contact your local American Red Cross chapter for information and training.
Practice and review these steps.