Posted by Rachel Leigh email
MARTIN COUNTY, FL (WFLX) - Martin County officials continue to monitor the progress of Tropical Storm Fay and its potential impact on Martin County.
The following information has been released by Martin County:
- All after-school activities are cancelled for this afternoon, Monday, August 18th. All Adult and Community Education classes scheduled for this evening are cancelled. However Extended Day (after-school care for elementary students) will be open as usual this afternoon for students already registered for this program.
- All public schools in the Martin County School District will be closed on Tuesday, August 19th. In addition all Extended Day Programs, all after-school activities, and all Adult and Community Education classes are also cancelled for Tuesday.
- The Special School Board Meeting for FCAT Student Recognitions that was scheduled for Tuesday, August 19th beginning at 5:30 P.M. has been cancelled.
- The Regular School Board Meeting scheduled for Tuesday, August 19th, that was scheduled to begin at 7:00 P.M. has been cancelled.
- If there are any additional changes to school schedules, parents and employees will be notified through the district's outbound automated calling system and through the local media. Updates will also be posted on the district's website, http://www.sbmc.org/. As an additional resource, information regarding school closings/re-openings will be posted on the state's emergency website, http://emergency.firn.edu/.
The American Red Cross Martin County Chapter will open a Red Cross Shelter Mon day night at 6 PM for the homeless and those in Martin County who feel their homes are not able to withstand tropical force winds associated with Tropical Storm Fay. The shelter will be open from 6:00 p.m. this evening. A decision on how long the Red Cross Shelter will be open will be made based on a review of weather conditions. A cot, blanket, food, and water will be provided to those seeking shelter from Tropical Storm Fay. The shelter is for those who either do not have a home or live in homes that are not able to withstand tropical storm force winds.
- Trash pick up by Waste Management and the Indiantown Company in Martin County has been cancelled for Tuesday, August 19th and will be picked up instead on Friday, August 22nd. Recyclables scheduled for Tuesday, August 19th pick-up will be picked up the following Tuesday, August 26th.
- A decision regarding postponement of the Martin County Commission meeting scheduled for 9:00 am on Tuesday, August 19th will be made later today.
- Martin County employees are directed to contact the Employee Hotline after 7:30 p.m. on Monday, August 18th at 772-320-3010 to determine if and when to report to work on Tuesday, August 19th.
- At this time, there is no requirement to remove political signs. The County is urging candidates to use their own discretion for removal of signs.