Nine students ingest drugs at Palm Springs school

By Al Pefley email

PALM SPRINGS, FL (WFLX) - Palm Springs Police are investigating an incident at Palm Springs Middle School in which nine students got sick after ingesting drugs. Two students are in the hospital. One was taken there by ambulance, another was taken by a parent.

Police say the students took pills, possibly Xanax,  an anti-anxiety drug that another boy brought to school.

They say the boy bought the drugs from an older teenager at a Cumberland Farms Store at Kirk and Forest Hill Boulevard near the school Tuesday morning, and was passing out the drugs or selling them to other kids at Palm Springs Middle School.

At about 1 p.m. Tuesday, students started coming to the school clinic saying they felt sick to their stomach and light-headed. Some were lethargic.

During the school day, nine students were treated at the clinic including the boy who was passing out the pills. "Well I'm just terrified. I just want to know if my son's okay. That's all," said Ydania Caba, a parent who was waiting in her car to pick up her son.

"I'm really shocked, first of all. This is supposed to be an A-rated school and these things are not supposed to happen," said Karla Ramirez, who was waiting to pick up her younger brother.

"I think the school needs more security here," said Maritza Martinez, another parent.

"Oh oh oh, this is terrible. This is the world we live in nowadays. We raised five kids, we didn't have no trouble like this," said Hugh June, whose great-grandson attends Palm Springs Middle School.

Palm Springs Police say they did not recover any Xanax pills, but they did get an empty prescription bottle that was found on one of the students. All nine students who ingested the drugs were between the ages of 13 and 15.  Two went to the hospital, while the other seven  were turned over to their parents.

So far no one's under arrest, but police are still investigating.