BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. -- If you are known to speed, you need to be especially careful around school zones during the next few weeks.
Law enforcement agencies around the entire state are cracking down on speeders around school zones to keep your kids safe.
The crackdown comes as everyone counts down to the end of the school year.
In Boynton Beach, the police department wrote 17 tickets near Freedom Shores and Citrus Grove elementary schools on Monday alone.
One of those speeders was fined $456 for going 25 miles over the limit. That's 45 mph in a 20 mph zone.
Be sure to slow down when you see the yellow lights flashing on school zone signs.
Here are some tips for drivers from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles :
- Drivers should always be alert and watch for children near schools and bus stops
- Children on bicycles can be unpredictable, be watchful
- Be aware of slower speed limits in school zones
- Watch for crossing guards and obey their signals
- Only drop off and pick up children in authorized areas
Finally, always stop for a school bus with flashing, red lights and an extended arm unless there is a barrier or physical median between lanes in two directions.