The Do's and Don't of Water Safety:
- Teach children water safety and swimming skills as early as possible.
- Teach yourself water safety, rescue and swimming skills.
- Appoint a "designated-water watcher" to monitor children during social gatherings at/or near bodies of water.
- Always brief babysitters on water safety, emphasizing the need for constant supervision.
- Keep rescue equipment accessible at pool side and post CPR instructions.
- Invest in layers of protection for backyard pools such as: installing doors and windows that exit to a pool area with alarms and fencing with self-closing latches.
- Maintain constant visual contact with children in a pool or pool area.
- Install a poolside phone, preferably a fully charged cordless model, with emergency numbers programmed into the speed dial.
- If a child is missing, check all sources of water near home first; seconds count in preventing death or disability.